By Peter Fisk
Peter Fisk is a renowned thinker and speaker in the marketing and business world, and I dusted off my copy of the best-selling ‘Marketing Genius’ book from almost 10 years ago (which was an excellent read on using left and right brain thinking in marketing) on hearing that he had launched a new title ‘Gamechangers’.
The new book itself is a punchy design in landscape format, with eye-catching text and graphics. A dry textbook this is not.
What’s it all about?
The key angle of this book is in the title: change. We know the world is changing around us, from the way we communicate and interact with friends and stranger, to the way we shop or take information from the world at large.
As business owners or brand guardians this ever-changing world can feel unstable and fast-paced. There’s always something new to know about, some innovation we should be up on. Fisk relates this all to the ‘game’, and recommends allowing ourselves to be curious and open-minded about what we can achieve.
The book is split into 4 parts:
- Are You Ready? – designed to shift your thinking into ‘gamechange’ mode by inspiring you with studies of entrepreneurs and leading thinkers
- Change the Game- which gives you 10 key areas in which to focus change for the future
- The Gamechangers- a plethora of case studies of innovative and inspirational brands and businesses, across 10 different industries and sectors such as retail, health and media
- Gamechanger Labs- worksheets which I would recommend you copy and scribble on for your business to get the most out of this book. Some of these would also be great team activities if you are looking to drive creative thinking in your teams. The worksheets are essentially prompts with questions split into Future Lab, Creative Lab, Brand Lab and Performance Lab
This book is for you if:
- You need a shot in the arm to make your ideas reality
- You are a digital native and enjoy information in short, easy-to-read bursts
- You are thinking about or are developing/running your own brand and want to give it a boost
- You want a summary of up-to-date marketing thinking to inspire you
- You want to read lots of inspirational case studies across many sectors
This book isn’t for you if:
- You find positive affirmations and a very enthusiastic tone off-putting
- You want a step-by-step practical examination of marketing theories
My key takeaway points are:
1. The old adage ‘change is the only constant in life’, is more pertinent than ever before, and should be embraced
2. Allowing yourself to think of your business or industry as a game will allow you to be open-minded and curious, allowing innovation rather than rigid thinking
3. To get the most use out of this book, use the Gamechanger Labs at the end of the book as Fisk prescribes in each chapter, and keep your notes. In 2, 5 or 10 years time when your ideas and innovations have come to fruition, it could be interesting to look back at your mindset in 2015.